Friday, April 27, 2012

A New Anthem for Education: "Architects" by Rise Against

As I'm working out this morning, listening to my testosterone-drenched hard rock/metal/punk playlist, I had a chance to listen to "Architects" by Chicago punk band Rise Against. It struck me that the lyrics applied quite nicely to education, particularly to those of us who are trying to do something big. Maybe 1-1 is not big for you, but it's pretty significant for us. In combination with a few other initiatives related to curriculum and instruction, it's going to be really big for our students.


Anyway, the song is loud, fast, and aggressive. Being angry young punk rockers, the boys in Rise Against even  drop one well-placed f-bomb. (Fair warning!)

The video has all the lyrics (mostly correct), but I pasted a sample below. Here's the bit that got me this morning:


Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate
Or would you rather be the architect
Of what we might create?



So teachers and administrators: Would you rather sit on the sidelines and complain, waiting for things to get better? Or would you rather be one of Will Richardson's bold schools and and create something new?

I also think that there really isn't a good anthem for educators, other than that awful Whitney Houston song that believes that children are our future or something. Nothing against Whitney or the sentiment of the song, but it's a little schmaltzy for my taste. I think it's OK for educators to express a little more aggression once in a while. As John Lennon once said, "When you're drowning, you don't say 'I would be incredibly pleased if someone would have the foresight to notice me drowning and come and help me,' you just scream."

This might not be your anthem, but it's mine.



SAMPLE LYRICS: 
Are there no fighters left here anymore?
Are we the generation we've been waiting for?
Are we patiently burning, waiting to be saved?

Do you still believe in all the things
That you stood by before?
I hope they're on the front lines
Or at home keeping score
Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate
Or would you rather be the architect
Of what we might create?









No comments:

Post a Comment