Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pinterest: Now I get it.

I've been seeing all sorts of web traffic (Facebook, Twitter, etc) about Pinterest. My sister-in-law keeps trying to invite me to follow her Pinterest board, but I couldn't quite get the hang of it via the iPhone. I just couldn't see why so many people seemed to be so captivated.

Last weekend, I got off the mobile app and started playing around with it on the desktop version. So, here's the deal: You find images or video clips that you like, and "pin them" to your personal account. You can organize them into "boards" if you like: Keep your shots of Justin Bieber on one board, and your favorite kitten pics in another board.

  • First, you need an account (duh) but you have to request an invite. That's the part that I didn't get. I didn't get my Pinterest account right away: they took a few hours to confirm my account and I was off and running. 
  • Next, you add a "pin it" button to your browser. When you see a picture that you like, you hit the button, and it asks you if you want to pin the image to one of your boards. If there are multiple images on the page, it gives you the option to choose which image you want.  
  • The image is pinned to your board and links back to the original site. However, you can change the link if you wish. 
  • Here's a tutorial:





Now, I still didn't quite get it for professional  use until I saw Eric Sheninger's Pinterest boards. Check it out here.

Aha. Now I can see how you can easily organize resources in a very visual format.
  • The pictures are linked, so you can use it to post great resources.
  • Students can curate and share resources with each other. 
  • In addition, you can pin videos from YouTube. I haven't tried any other video-sharing sites yet, but I've been putting all sorts of great videos that I've been collecting via Diigo in a more visually oriented format. 
  • In addition, you can look at others' boards and easily re-pin their images to your boards. I must confess: I re-pinned a number of Personal Learning Network resources from Sheninger's Pinterest boards. 
Here's my board. Follow me. I'm playing around with some boards that contain tools which align with some of the ISTE NETS standards for students: Creativity and Innovation, Research and Information Fluency, Critical Thinking and Problem Solving, and Communication and Collaboration.

Here are a couple more posts on Pinterest for education:









No comments:

Post a Comment